All job opportunities at Resource Lighting + Controls are full time careers with health benefits, 401K, paid time off, holidays, and training opportunities.
Project Bidder (Hiring Senior and Entry Level Positions)
A Project Bidder quotes, captures and manages multiple projects in both the “open bid market” and as specified by our agency personnel. The ability to develop, implement and follow through with a sales strategy is key to this position. You will be involved in all areas of the sales and marketing process including developing strong distribution, contractor and manufacturer relationships. Continuing education opportunities are provided to learn and maintain knowledge of market trends, design standards, building codes, manufacturer products to maximize existing revenue opportunities and develop new ones.
You’ll work with RL+C principals to continually develop internal company processes and educate personnel on pricing strategies in order to raise the overall bidding success rate. Experience in one or more of the following is highly desirable:
- Electrical and or lighting quotation experience.
- Demonstrated inside or outside sales / marketing ability.
- Assembly of competitive project bids.
- Training in one or more of the following: electrical building codes, electrical contracting, electrical engineering or lighting design.
- Interpreting electrical schematics and drawings related to lighting and lighting systems.
- Interpreting product specifications to compare performance.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Experience with photometric software and or AutoCAD
Submit your resume via email below or call 757-361-9372 to speak with a hiring manager.
Lighting Specifications Careers Start Here!
Join the Resource Resource Lighting + Controls Team as a specification sales agent, in-field lighting controls specialist, project manager or lighting designer (conducting photometrics and electrical layouts).
We’re searching for talented individuals to bring the latest LED lighting and controls technologies to the market. If you enjoy a dynamic work environment with professional growth opportunities we invite you to contact us. We offer healthcare coverage, 401K and PTO as well as an encouraging, exciting work environment. Learn about us on our Linkedin page.
Specification sales agents are relationship managers and assist designers, architects, engineers and owners in finding the best lighting and controls solutions for their specific project. Sales agents participate in a number of manufacturer educational opportunities, meaning you’ll gain the knowledge to be a valuable asset to your Hampton Roads clients. Each day is different in this sales role. Resource represents over 100 lighting brands including one of the largest lighting manufacturers in the world, Acuity Brands; meaning you’ll have the tools to help designers create complete lighting packages increasing your effectiveness in the region.
- Developing professional relationships with clients and providing exceptional service.
- Managing a number of client accounts and design projects simultaneously.
- Developing and presenting the latest lighting design trends via in office presentations, online media and professional trade functions.
- Educating clients on energy saving designs and advances in lighting and controls technology.
- Helping clients maintain budgets.
- Engaging with our many manufacturers to develop custom solutions for clients.
- Assisting in lighting and controls design.
Desire to work in a technical sales and marketing field is important along with strong interpersonal skills. A working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and a high level of personal motivation and ownership are essential to success in this sales capacity.
Training is provided and ongoing as lighting and controls trends and technologies are ever developing. Previous experience in one or more of the following is preferred:
- Educational background or experience with electrical, architectural, interior or lighting design.
- Experience in a technical sales related field acting in an account management capacity.
- AutoCAD and/or building modeling experience.
- Basic or advanced understanding of lighting, lighting controls technology, products and their applications.
- Photometric software design
In addition to lighting specification sales careers, we have many other career opportunities listed below. See our entire list.
Find Your Fit
You want to find the right fit for your work life. Lighting and controls is a specialized field which requires continual training (provided by us, of course). Relevant experience is helpful, but many people coming into a position with us won’t have worked for another agency in the past.
That’s why at Resource, we look at the individual first, then match people to the position that best fits their talents. Engineers and architects might be great for specification sales, but they might also be a good fit for project management. Electricians and generalists might be wonderful at in field services, but they might also enjoy design.
We have employees from vast educational and work experience backgrounds. A desire to learn is the most important qualification!
Field Services Technician
Field Services Technicians (FST) work in conjunction with internal team members, wholesale distributors, contractors, designers, owners/owner representatives and manufacturers to install, program/commission and support lighting controls or lighting equipment. Qualified candidates are self-motivated, resourceful, exhibit good problem solving techniques, solid interpersonal skills and are committed to following defined processes of workflow and documentation. Training and any necessary accreditations on programming specific controls systems is provided.
- Successfully programming or troubleshooting lighting and lighting controls systems.
- Reviewing controls drawings/schematics and project documentation to commission controls systems.
- Strictly adhering to stated processes, maintaining field reports documentation and communicating details to stakeholders.
- Meeting with project field representatives to review project information, clarify drawings or review areas of concern.
- Providing installation information, best practices, training and on-site assistance to ensure a functional installation that is ready to be commissioned.
- Self-Educating on all business tools or knowledge necessary to provide field service functions relative to identified manufacturers.
Candidate should be able to self-educate on business systems and technology using provided training materials, take on additional role responsibilities as required by various projects, follow all site safety requirements required by construction sites, maintain company equipment and tools, work closely with other, work on deadlines, project themselves in a professional manner.
Highly Transferable Skills:
- Previous hands on field electrical experience in electrical work, electronics or installation and or programming controls.
- Ability to understand construction documents, electrical drawings, circuitry diagrams and specifications.
- Basic understanding of network topology for wired/wireless networks
- Ability to learn in both class room settings as well as online or through printed materials for ongoing training
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Desire to work in an onsite technical related capacity.
- Desire to be part of team with an interest in personal and professional growth.
Meet Connor, field services tech. After receiving a certificate in autoCAD, he was looking for ways to apply his new skills. Connor started in our service department creating lighting and controls layouts and doing photometric renderings.
As he learned more about lighting controls through agency training, he wanted to apply his skills in the field. He program controls and works in a variety of different environments on projects throughout the area. He now works both in the office and in the field.
The PM will have primary ownership and actively manage all of the business and customer service functions required once a project has been awarded and turned over for submittal. You will proactively involve internal sales and operational resources to guarantee the clean and orderly flow of each project. The PM will work with the sales team to ensure that the project folder has been properly loaded with all the documentation needed for submittal and eventual order. You will verify the product selection meets the intended specification and work with our factories or internal systems to properly note configured product and specific controls architecture on projects.
The PM will develop firmly identified timelines from the customer and coordinate with customer support personnel to properly meet the project schedule. The PM will closely monitor the revenue intended on the project and will leverage the current opportunity or our collective projects to negotiate better pricing and provide suggestions of factories that will enable you to maximize the eventual profit to the company.
Depending on the size of the project, the PM will interface directly with the customer and their installation team to provide extended service functions such including on site approved submittal review, control architecture, delivery inspection/product identification, best practices for handling/assembling the products for installation, controls programming/start up services and warranty/post sales issue resolution. Finally, the PM will oversee all post sale requirements needed to effectively close out the project.
- Reviewing the project folder and ensuring all the information is available for effective project management.
- Understanding the revenue intended and maximizing the company’s ability to increase profit on every project.
- Creating a proper project schedule and monitoring/managing all external and internal business elements to ensure that we maintain time lines consistent with the project needs.
- Reviewing all specifications & drawings and ensuring the products bid on the project and documentation provided for submittal meets the intent of the specifier.
- Providing and producing submittal documentation including controls/configured product.
- Assembling and delivering a complete and accurate submittal package for approval.
- Meeting with customer field representatives to review submittal information, clarify drawings or areas of concern, provide product information and on-site assistance to increase the comfort or understanding relative to product identification and installation.
- Providing onsite programming and commissioning of control systems, via our field-services team or through manufacturer’s services.
- Managing all post sales activities for projects leading up to effectively closing the project out and turning over to the eventual project owner.
- Working closely with all business elements to ensure our process is effective at producing the smooth and accurate delivery of all project requirements.
Candidate should be able to follow strict process documentation, manage multiple contemporaneous projects and processes, continually learn about new lighting technologies offered by our manufacturers, have excellent verbal, interpersonal and written skills, project themselves and our company in a professional manner and be able to take on additional responsibilities as required by the position or project.
Looking for Lighting Design and Specification Sales Careers?
Lighting design and specification sales careers are highly rewarding for those interested in working in a growing technical field. We’re looking forward to getting to know you. Feel free to submit questions via email by clicking on any of the “Submit Resume” buttons above. Should you have any difficult attaching a resume, contact our customer service department at customerserv[email protected] to be put in touch with your hiring manager.